Student Packing List 2023
2023 Kansas Wing Encampment Student Packing List (read thoroughly)
The temperature has varied from 0 to 60 degrees, with wind (a given in Kansas), rain, snow, and ice; pack accordingly. Pack warm gloves, a warm cap, and a good coat, if you don’t have a CAP-issued Gortek or Sage fleece, just bring a warm coat. Solid if possible. No sports team coats. We would much prefer you to be healthy and safe.
It is highly recommended that you (literally) dress in each uniform (PT/Blues/ABU) and pack them as you remove them. This will ensure that you have not forgotten the little things.
Just to make sure nothing was forgotten, you will be asked to change into each uniform sometime during the first few hours of in-processing to determine if anything is missing. We may contact your home to have any missing items shipped at your expense. If it is on the list, pack it. If it is not on the list, you will not need it, or it will be provided.
FULL-SIZE FLAT SHEETS
Mattresses are being made thicker these days. The old twin-size sheets are not wide enough to tuck in on both sides. So we have moved to FULL size (aka “double”) sheets.
BOOTS & SHOES
- New boots & shoes are NOT recommended for this activity. Boots & shoes should be broken-in beforehand. However, old worn-out shoes can be just as detrimental. They will put a lot of miles on their shoes at encampment. Sending a cadet to encampment with shoes that will fall apart while they are there is not recommended.
MARK YOUR STUFF
- Attempt to mark ALL clothing items with your name (particularly ABU pants).
- You will be expected to transport your own luggage during and after In-Processing; pack accordingly. Make it easy to carry/move all your stuff by yourself.
- POV & COV travel uniform will be PT
- Commercial airline cadet travelers will wear civilian clothes.
Cadets: show this list to your parents or another responsible person that can help verify that you have everything. It never hurts to have another person double-check with a “new set of eyes.” Best advice from a cadet cadre: “If it’s on the list, bring it; if it’s not on the list, you don’t need it.” However, while we try to provide a specific list, your medical or personal individual needs may not be addressed.
Required Items for Encampment Attendees:
ITEMS SHOULD BE CLEARLY LABELED WITH YOUR NAME, IF POSSIBLE
- Necessary prescription medications (MUST be in original container)
- 1 canteen with a belt or Camelbak (black or camouflage/green... per CAPM 39-1)
- 1 pocket-size notebook (for taking notes)
- 2 new black pens
- 1 shoeshine kit (paste polish – no liquid polish)
- Sunscreen (30 SPF minimum)
- Safety vest
- Camera (optional)
- 12-inch ruler or a sewing gauge
- 1 white bath towel
- 1 white washcloth
- 1 pair shower sandals (most-often item missed – REQUIRED. Do not skip this)
- Conditioner (if needed)
- Body soap (liquid is easier)
- Comb or brush
- Hair care items: Dryer, pins, spray, ties, etc.
- Shaving items (if needed)
- Contacts, contact solution, contact case
- Sewing kit (thread, needle)
- Spray starch
- 1 laundry bag (marked with name)
- 7 matching clothes hangers (enough for the uniforms you bring)
- 1 warm solid color blanket, (it’s cold in the barracks-you’ll also be issued one wool blanket)
- 2 White FULL-size FLAT sheets… flat sheets only; no fitted sheets
- 1White pillowcase
- 1 Pillow
- 1 package of moleskin
- Foot powder
- Shower shoes (yes, it’s in here twice; it’s that important)
- Athlete’s foot cream (in the unlikely event you forget your shower shoes)
- Knee-high hose worn under socks helps prevent blisters (optional)
- Thermal underwear. Desert sand, cream, or white thermal underwear may be worn under the ABU. Thermal underwear will not be worn as an outer garment. Thermal underwear will not be visible under the ABU trousers and coat except at the neck.
- 7 pairs of underwear
- Females: appropriate undergarments, feminine hygiene products
- 2 pairs of black PT sweatpants
- 2 pairs of black PT shorts, which must be mid-thigh, which will also be used as sleepwear
- 4 black t-shirts
- 7 pairs of white athletic socks
- 1 pair of athletic shoes
- 1 light black jacket or black sweatshirt (preferably with a hood)
ABU Uniforms: Per CAPR 39-1
- 1 ABU cover
- 2 ABU blouses
- 1 set of grade insignia
- 4 tan t-shirts
- 1 ABU belt - desert tan. The best is a rigger-style belt with a hook and loop buckle
- 2 pairs of ABU pants
- 1 set of blousing bands
- 7 pairs of black boot socks
- 1 pair of black boots Broken In
Outer Garments Authorized outer garments are the AF green fleece jacket or the ABU Gortex parka
- 1 Fleece (with name tape, grade insignia, and CAP tape)
- 1 ABU Gortex Parka (or conservative warm coat)
- 1 Black or sage green watch cap (stocking cap)
- 1 Pair of black winter gloves
- 1 blues flight cap with hat device
- 2 white V-neck t-shirts
- 1 short-sleeve blues shirt
- 1 nameplate
- 1 ribbon holder with ribbons
- 1 pair blues slacks
- 1 blues belt with chrome buckle and tip
- 2 pairs black dress socks
- 1 pair blues uniform shoes; low quarters (no pumps or heels)
- 1 blues trench coat or conservative coat (does not have to be AF issue... please no sports team coats) Warm is better than none.
Everybody must bring
- Your current CAPID card (or a temporary ID from eServices)
Items that are Contraband and will be taken away from cadet students at In-processing:
- Candy, gum, food, or drinks of any kind will be discarded.
- Weapons of any kind (including pocket knives and scissors) DON’T BRING THEM
- Liquid shoe polish
- Lighters, matches
- iPods, cell phones, video games, or other toys
- Any items that are illegal
Confiscated items will be stored in a secure location. We have very limited storage space. It is best to not bring unnecessary items. Kansas Wing is not responsible for lost or stolen items.